6021 Forbes Tower
- Assistant Professor
- Leming Zhou, PhD, DSc, is an assistant professor in the Department of Health Information Management, School of Health and Rehabilitaton Sciences at the University of Pittsburgh. Dr. Zhou’s current research focus is in the areas of mathematical modeling on health related topics, information integration, and comparative genomics. Dr. Zhou’s research goal is to provide computational methods and tools to facilitate personalized medicine, which will be the most efficient and effective healthcare for each individual. For this purpose, he is developing a secure and convenient framework to integrate genome information into traditional electronic health record systems, creating and implementintg software tools to analyze personal genome sequences, integrating gene-disease informaton from various sources into one comprehensive database, and generating mathematical models to simulate the process of a number of diseases. Dr. Zhou is active in profesisonal and scientific societies. He is a professional member of AHIMA, ISCB, IEEE, and ACM. He serves as a manuscript reviewer for books, conferences, journals, and NSF panelist.
- DSc, Computer Science, The George Washington University
- PhD, Physics, The George Washington University
- MSc, Computer Science, The George Washington University
- BS, Physics, Nankai University, China
Awards and Honors
- Bruce Baker Education Travel Award, University of Pittsburgh, 2008
- Research Fellowship, The George Washington University, 2007-2008
- Summer Fellowship, J. Craig Venter Institute, 2007
- University Fellowship, The George Washington University, 2000-2007
- Y. S. Chow Fellowship, 1994-1998
- Dynamic system modeling, biological data analysis, comparative genomics, algorithm and software development, data mining, high performance computing, and Lattice QCD
Recent Publications :Refereed Articles
- Zhou, L., Mihai, I. and Florea, L., (2009), “Spaced seeds for cross-species cDNA-to-genome sequence alignment”, Communications in Information and Systems, in press.
- Zhou, L., Delcher, A., Pertea, M., and Florea, L., (2009), “Sim4cc – A cross-species spliced alignment tool”, Nucleic Acids Research, 37(11):e80
- Zhou, L., Mihai, I., and Florea, L., (2008), “Effective cluster-based seed design for cross-species sequence comparison”, Bioinformatics, 24(24), 2926-2927.
- Zhou, L., Stanton, J. and Florea, L. (2008) “Universal Seeds for cDNA-to-genome comparison”, BMC Bioinformatics, 9:36.
- Zhou, L. and Florea, L. (2007) “Designing sensitive and specific spaced seeds for cross-species mRNA-to-genome alignment”, J. Comput. Biol. 14(2), 113-130.
- Zhou, L. and Lee, F. X., (2006), “Spin-3/2 baryons from an anisotropic lattice QCD action”, Phys. Rev. D74, 034507.
- Lee, F. X., Zhou, L., Wilcox, W., Christensen, J., (2006), “Magnetic polarizability of hadrons from lattice QCD in the background field method”, Phys. Rev. D73, 034503.
- Lee, F. X., Kelly, R., Zhou, L., Wilcox, W., (2005), “Baryon magnetic moments in the background field method”, Phys. Lett. B627, 71-76.
- Christensen, J., Wilcox, W., Lee, F. X., Zhou, L., (2005), “Electric polarizability of neutral hadrons from Lattice QCD”, Phys. Rev. D72, 034503.
Recent Publications :Book Chapters and Other
- Zhou, L., Pertea M., Florea, L., (2009), “Predicting Coding Regions in Sequence Alignments With Spaced Seeds”, Poster and abstract, 9th Workshop on Algorithms in Bioinformatics (WABI 2009), University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA. (September 12-13, 2009).
- Mi, Q., Solovyev, A., Zhou, L., Mikheev, M., Dutta-Moscato, J., An, G., and Vodovotz, Y., (2009), “A computer simulation of pressure ulcer formation following spinal cord injury: An application of a novel agent-based biomedical modeling framework”, Proceedings of RESNA 2009 Annual Conference, New Orleans, Louisiana, LA. (June 23-27, 2009).
- Solovyev, A., Zhou, L., Mikheev, M., Dutta-Moscato, J., An, G., Vodovotz, Y., and Mi, Q., (2009), “SPARK: A Systems Biology Framework for Agent-based Biomedical Modeling”, Poster and abstract, Computational Cell Biology, 2009, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, New York, NY. (March 24-27, 2009).
- Zhou, L. and Florea, L. (2008), “Sensitive and Specific Cross-species cDNA-to-Genome Alignment with Spaced Seeds”, Abstract and oral presentation. Rocky 2008, 6th Annual Rocky Mountain Bioinformatics Conference, Aspen/Snowmass, Colorado. (December 4-7, 2008).
- Zhou, L., Delcher, A., Pertea, M., and Florea, L., (2007), “Universal spaced seeds – Improving the accuracy of cross-species cDNA-to-genome alignment”, Poster and abstract, Genome Informatics 2007, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, New York, NY. (November 1-5, 2007).
- Zhou, L., Florea, L., (2007), “Good spaced seeds for cross-species cDNA-to-genome alignment”, Poster and abstract, BIBE 2007 – 7th IEEE International Conference on BioInformatics and BioEngineering, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA. (October 14-17, 2007).
- Zhou, L., Florea, L., (2006), “Designing spaced seeds for accurate cross-species cDNA-to-genome alignment with varying evolutionary distances”, Abstract and oral Presentation, SMBE 2006 – Genomes, Evolution and Bioinformatics, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ. (May 24-28, 2006).
Courses Recently Taught
- HRS-2421/HRS-1421 Security, Privacy and Legal Issues of Health Information Systems
- HRS-2422/ HRS-1422 Object-Oriented and Web Programming
- HRS-2425/HRS-1425 Genomics and Personalized Care in Health Systems
Externally Funded Projects
- “HIM CPATH Class I: Health Computing” Integrate Computational Thinking Into Health Science Education,” NSF: $283,637 (10/1/2009 – 9/30/2011)
- Appointed as Faculty Member of McGowan Institute of Regenerative Medicine, University of Pittsburgh and UPMC
- NSF Panelist:Cyber-Enabled Discovery and Innovation program, 2009
- Referee:BMC Bioinformatics
- Referee: IEEE Transactions on Information Technology in BioMedicine
- Referee: Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology
- Referee: Elements of Computational Systems Biology, Wiley Book Series on Bioinformatics
- Program Committee Member: The First International Conference on Computational and Systems Biology and Microbiology (BIOSYSCOM 2010)
- Program Committee Member: 2009 International Conference on Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Genomics and Chemoinformatics (BCBGC)
- Program Committee Member: 2009 International Conference on Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (BIOCOMP’09)
- Program Committee Member: 2009 ISIBM International Joint Conferences on Bioinformatics, Systems Biology and Intelligent Computing
- Program Committee Member: 2009 International Symposium on Bioinformatics Research and Applications (ISBRA 2009)
- Program Committee Member: 2008 International Symposium on Bioinformatics Research and Applications (ISBRA 2008)
- Special Session Chair: 2009 ISIBM International Joint Conferences on Bioinformatics, Systems Biology and Intelligent Computing, Special Session on Genomics and Personalized Medicine
- Member, Association for Computing Machinery (ASM), 2009 – present
- Member, American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) 2009 – present
- Member, International Society for Computational Biology (ISCB) 2007 – present
- Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) 2007 – present
- Member, IEEE Computer Society, 2009 – present
- Member, IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2009 – present
- Member, Sigma XI, The Scientific Research Society, 2009 – present